[Scons-dev] plan for python3 port?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Sep 4 13:42:48 EDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-09-04 at 09:10 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]

> Yes. A lot of preliminary work has been done; the current version

> announces upcoming deprecation of anything older than 2.7, primarily

> because that's the floor for making 2 and 3 compatible code.

It transpires that if you ignore Pythons 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2, it is
relatively easy to make a single code base run with Pythons 2.6, 2.7 and
3.3. But as SCons has already declared the floor version to be 2.7, it
is easier. However it still requires person hours to achieve which have
not yet materialized. Not entirely surprising given the core team have
to earn money from sources other than SCons.

What is needed is for an organization or three to stump up some cash to
hire a few people to be able to work on it. I am confident it is not
that hard, just a lot of (possibly tedious) editing.

Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
London SW11 1EN, UK w: www.russel.org.uk skype: russel_winder