[Scons-dev] plan for python3 port?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Sep 4 09:10:28 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone looked into what work needs to be done to port scons to

> python3? Is

> there a plan?

Yes. A lot of preliminary work has been done; the current version
announces upcoming deprecation of anything older than 2.7, primarily
because that's the floor for making 2 and 3 compatible code.

http://www.scons.org/wiki/Roadmap
http://www.scons.org/wiki/Python3Compatibility

The existing code already has had some 2to3 runs done and some compatible
changes are already in place. Unicode everywhere will be a big task I
think, because we don't know what the encoding of the compiler (or other
tool) output stream is, but shouldn't be overwhelming.

There's been a lot of discussion on this list. At this point we are ready
to go, just need bodies and time to do it.