[Scons-dev] Documentation in EPUB-Format?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Oct 4 08:56:47 EDT 2013

Hi devs,

since we're now using DocBook as source format for all our
documentation, it would technically be relatively easy to publish things
like the MAN page or the UserGuide in EPUB format as well.
The latest versions of "pandoc" (> 1.12.x) offer a DocBook reader and do
a, more or less, good job in rendering the single markups.
Find a shortened version of the UserGuide attached, as a first example...

The question now is: Should we go this route? Then I'd try to integrate
an "ebook" target into the build and bootstrapping process, such that
EPUBs get created automatically if "pandoc" can be found on the current
system.

Note, how this would add a dependency to "pandoc" for all the
ReleaseManagers...and this currently means installing the full Haskell
platform package with approx 400MB. ;)

Your comments?