[Scons-dev] [Fwd: [Scons-users] [patch] SCons fails to run in standalone mode]

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Jul 14 04:40:55 EDT 2013

On 13.07.2013 16:53, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Tue, 2013-07-09 at 09:17 +0200, Dirk Bächle wrote:

> […]

>> In my view, bootstrap.py is more for creating the build packages. It can

>> also copy together a local working copy (the "bootstrap" folder), which

>> is fine for most cases when you simply want to start SCons without fully

>> installing it.

> […]

> I think we perhaps need to clarify the role of bootstrap.py then as I

> have always known it as the entry into using the current HEAD as SCons

> (which is what H S Teoh is doing as well). Using boostrap.py leads to

> having all the pyc files not in the checked out repository which is a

> Good Thing™.

This seems to work well for you, so stick to it.

> Trying to use a shell script instead leads to pyc files

> being in the checked out source tree, not good at all.

This appears to work well for me (it has other advantages), so I'll
stick to it. ;)

The role of bootstrap.py is probably defined quite well, so I don't see
a need to discuss it at the moment. All I wanted to offer is the simple
scripts that I use to start SCons directly, such that we could replace
the misleading instructions in the REAME.rst by a pointer to the files.
Fixing the text, as Rob suggested, would be another option of course.

Regards,