[Scons-dev] Qt support

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Sun Apr 14 18:09:56 EDT 2013

Dirk makes a very good point, one we've thought about for a long time. It
might be a good time, as we prep for the next version, to think about a
contrib system. (In any case, we should either import the Qt4/5 tools or
delete the Qt3 one though.) Dirk, is there a way for us to leverage pypi
for this? Can it install tools into a dir that we could add to the
site_tools path for instance? I don't know if we could (or should) build a
web-based contrib system ourselves.

I am trying to get started on toolchain revamp ideas (which would integrate
with the above idea). I'll try to put out some kind of strawman document
soon.

-- Gary

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi all,

> a Qt5 Tool (as a copy of qt4.py) is listed in the ToolsIndex. I tested it

> quite extensively under Linux with the Qt 5.0.1/2 release candidates and

> got feedback from some people that it also works fine under Windows. So we

> basically have Qt5 support already, I can't say anything about OS/X though.

> Both Qt Tools have manuals and tests, so they could be integrated to the

> core without a lot of additional effort.

> But we should do this for the right reasons only. If we all agree that

> it's strategically important to have full Qt support in the core, on the

> same level as gcc/msvc for example, I'd be okay with that.

> What I wouldn't want is, that we pull them in just because it's convenient

> for us (less work, less questions) and the user (less struggle for finding

> and installing). I'd rather use the Qt modules to drive the further

> development of the Tool subsystem, and even go as far as pushing the

> current qt.py out of the core into an external Qt3 package.

> This would definitely break some existing code, but it would also make a

> clear statement in my opinion.

> The ability to easily extend the build system by writing Builders and

> Tools is an important feature in SCons, making it stand out from all other

> competitors. So we should think about how we can improve the current

> documentation and install/packaging processes (*), and putting an emphasis

> on keeping as much build functionality external.

> Best regards,

> Dirk

> (*): My idea for this would still be to compile a "contrib-tools" package

> with the latest revisions from the Tools listed in the

> ToolsIndex...registered at pypi perhaps.

> On 14.04.2013 18:00, Brady Johnson wrote:

> I am also in favor of incorporating a newer version of Qt into SCons. It

> would be good to be backwards compatible with previous versions, if

> possible. Or at the very least allow for multiple versions like: Qt5, Qt4,

> Qt3, etc

> Brady

> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 5:39 PM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>wrote:

>> I'm in favor of standardizing (i.e. importing into SCons) a more recent

>> Qt tool. Qt3 is pretty ancient now.

>> On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk>wrote:

>>> Currently the qt tool is Qt3 and worse than useless because it doesn't

>>> say qt3 it says qt. Thanks to Dirk and co we have a qt4 tool that works,

>>> but it is not standard even though the Qt3 only qt tool is. What about

>>> Qt5?

>>> I am prompted to ask now as someone was asking me about SCons at ACCU

>>> 2013 and the issue of Qt support arose.

>>> Thanks.

>>> --

>>> Russel.

>>> Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 <%2B44%2020%207585%202200>

>>> voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net

>>> 41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 <%2B44%207770%20465%20077>