[Scons-dev] Qt support

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sun Apr 14 17:52:28 EDT 2013

Hi all,

a Qt5 Tool (as a copy of qt4.py) is listed in the ToolsIndex. I tested
it quite extensively under Linux with the Qt 5.0.1/2 release candidates
and got feedback from some people that it also works fine under Windows.
So we basically have Qt5 support already, I can't say anything about
OS/X though.

Both Qt Tools have manuals and tests, so they could be integrated to the
core without a lot of additional effort.
But we should do this for the right reasons only. If we all agree that
it's strategically important to have full Qt support in the core, on the
same level as gcc/msvc for example, I'd be okay with that.
What I wouldn't want is, that we pull them in just because it's
convenient for us (less work, less questions) and the user (less
struggle for finding and installing). I'd rather use the Qt modules to
drive the further development of the Tool subsystem, and even go as far
as pushing the current qt.py out of the core into an external Qt3 package.
This would definitely break some existing code, but it would also make a
clear statement in my opinion.

The ability to easily extend the build system by writing Builders and
Tools is an important feature in SCons, making it stand out from all
other competitors. So we should think about how we can improve the
current documentation and install/packaging processes (*), and putting
an emphasis on keeping as much build functionality external.

(*): My idea for this would still be to compile a "contrib-tools"
package with the latest revisions from the Tools listed in the
ToolsIndex...registered at pypi perhaps.