[Scons-dev] Creating an extension: where do I start?

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Sep 29 09:18:53 EDT 2012

On 29.09.2012 14:59, Left Right wrote:

> Hello list,

> I tried SCons for several projects developed by other people and I

> like it very much. Though, I'd like to know it better, and from the

> inside too. I program mostly what is related to Flash, and so I would

> like to have an extension that can handle Flash compilation and other

> tools that come with it. My question is, could you point me to an

> example of such an extension, or give an insight to what needs to be

> done / what would be the best way to go about developing such

> extension?

> No time pressure / I'm doing this at my spare time, so if there's

> documentation / reading materials on how to do that - I'd like to read

> first :)

> Thanks.

> Oleg

Hi Oleg,

you could start with section "18. Writing Your Own Builders" of the User
Guide and

http://scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools

, which deals with developing new builders and tools.
Also, the index of out-of-core Tools

http://scons.org/wiki/ToolsIndex

can point you to some real examples, e.g. the Qt4 builders.

This should give you a little to read over the weekend. ;)