[Scons-dev] Possible minor bug + how to get (or assign) a builder to a file node?

Left Right olegsivokon at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 13:21:25 EDT 2012

> You can't stick a dictionary in a shell environment variable...

Why would I want to pass dictionary to shell? I think about the build
script as being a little program that is written in Python, not a list
of commands to path to the shell. That's why I've chosen Python to
begin with!

> It seems that you think that your build doesn't follow these rules, and as such want to build something else on top of SCons.

> If that's the case your path will be much more difficult (think square peg, round hole)

Yes, it is different, of course it is! Is it entirely incompatible as
you say?.. well, I need only very few things from SCons, and am
willing to do the rest on my own, in the way I think better suits my
needs, is that a crime? :) I'm absolutely not a Make person, I come
from Ant / Maven background and think of building a project more in
terms of those tools.
I don't like Ant or Maven for not being real programming languages
(writing more complex build scripts in either of them ends up in a lot
of unrewarding labour, using low quality tools - no proper booleans,
neither string manipulation, nor even math etc.) This is why Python. I
used Python for writing little pre-processing scripts to build my own
projects, but seeing how I'm repeating myself over and over again, I
decided to invest more effort and make something reusable.

Anyways, thank you for your patience, I'll try not to abuse it further!

> I agree with Bill; I don't think SCons as it exists now is going to serve

> your needs. It ought to be possible to build Flash with SCons (

> http://www.wrwrwr.org/scons shows up when I google "SCons flash") but I

> think you are looking for a type of process that is pretty different from

> how SCons is organized.

I saw wrwrwr project, and that's why I decided to do it from scratch

:) What that project is trying to do, is it's trying to do the

compiler's job at locating the sources, for example. And it fails to
do it at any non-trivial project. I mean, the compiler itself is too
compilcated, to even try to predict what sources exactly will it
use... But not only it is difficult, it is absolutely unnecessary...
It can only handle some very small % of what compiler can do. I.e. you
can barely pass a handful of options to the compiler by using it,
while there's like ten times more, etc., etc. With all due respect,
that project isn't usable as it is...

Best.

Oleg