[Scons-dev] Possible minor bug + how to get (or assign) a builder to a file node?

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Thu Oct 4 14:01:03 EDT 2012

On 10/04/2012 10:03 AM, Left Right wrote:

>> Can you back up a few steps and say what you're trying to do? (Note

>> that you say you're creating a File Node, but the code you show is for

>> a subclass of Builder, which is pretty odd.) Have you been through

>> Chapter 18 of the User's Guide?

>> http://www.scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-user/c3621.html

> Thanks for reply. I'm probably "that deep" because of a mismatch in

> the regular way C or Java projects are built vs Flash. The thing is,

> managing sources is very simple in Flash (the compiler does almost all

> the job, it find the required sources by inferring from the code what

> it should be looking for), but there are many configuration settings

> that one should pass to compiler, which are given per project, or per

> certain part of the project.

<snipped out detail>

Let's simplify what you're trying to do. (lot's of experience has taught
me.. if it's really difficult, you may be doing it wrong (the way you
think it should be vs. the way it actually is))
1. What are your inputs?
2. What are your outputs?
3. How do you determine flags for "compiling"?

Based on your previous emails:

"the compiler does almost all the job, it find the required sources
by inferring from the code what it should be looking for"

So it parses the sources looking for info on it's dependencies?

"For instance, the compiler has a concept of modules, so it would
compile a group of files, and then would compile a module using the
first group in a similar way you'd use headers in C, when linking
dynamic libraries."

How does it determine the modules?

"Step 1: I've overridden _execute in FlashBuilderBase in order to be
able to gather some important information about the project (often
times Flash comes with Eclipse-style project files, so I'm parsing
the project file, and interpret the information I find in it in a
way it will be useful later during the build)."

Is the project file for all sources you're trying to compile, or per
module, or some other grouping?

As Gary stated in another email, you probably can use a separate
environment per group of code to get the appropriate flags to them.