[Scons-dev] Possible minor bug + how to get (or assign) a builder to a file node?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu Oct 4 13:18:30 EDT 2012

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Left Right <olegsivokon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for reply. I'm probably "that deep" because of a mismatch in

> the regular way C or Java projects are built vs Flash. The thing is,

> managing sources is very simple in Flash (the compiler does almost all

> the job, it find the required sources by inferring from the code what

> it should be looking for), but there are many configuration settings

> that one should pass to compiler, which are given per project, or per

> certain part of the project.

I don't know the details, but perhaps rather than overriding SCons
internals (which are subject to change), you could store all this
configuration in the Environment. Use a different Environment for
each project, or part of project. The builders can just use
$FLASH_XYZ to expand to whatever is different, because the environment
is remembered, and passed to the builder. Perhaps this is similar to
wanting to use a different C compiler for different parts of a
project? We do that, and just use different Environments to make it
work.
env1.Object('foo1', foo1_sources)
env2.Object('foo2', foo2_sources)
and so on.

In any case I don't think your step 0 is the right way to construct a
builder -- you should use the Builder() factory method.