[Scons-dev] SCons building with MS Visual C++10 on 64-bit Windows.

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Jun 15 14:54:24 EDT 2012

>>Yes, the above is what we should aim for, with the toolchain revamp.

>>Totally agree. However today, everyone would see those errors, even if not using C/C++ at all, and I'm afraid that's not acceptable. We need to call the tools "on demand" (which has challenges) and allow more flexible specification of what tools a user wants (cares about).

Well in SCon this is so.. but not general so in Parts. What was added, and I have proposed, was that you can provide which chain of tools you want.

I can easy say:

Scons --target=android-x86 --tool-chain=gcc

There is no need for MS vc to be installed.. so there is no problem or error message.

What you seem to suggest is different ability of loading a tool if it was needed. Which is to say if env.Program(...) was called Scons might know it needs a CC tool to build it and look at what CC tools exist and load a given compiler tool at that time, or check at the time if the requested tool for that type of really does exists. I don't see that as a major issue to tweak. I still see a need to formalize the idea of a toolchain in SCons so the user can control what set of tools to try to use when they want to.

Anyways just some thoughts..

Jason