[Scons-dev] SCons building with MS Visual C++10 on 64-bit Windows.

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Fri Jun 15 12:40:28 EDT 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Kenny, Jason L
<jason.l.kenny at intel.com> wrote:

> I recall chiming in on this. As I help a bit with this rewrite.

> I honestly found it better to be precise and error out if that is not the case. The difference is for example in the Parts addon you would say this:

> Scons mytarget

> Just like you would with scons. The difference is that this builds 64-bit on a 64-bit system and 32-bit on a 32-bit system. If the compiler is not installed you get this type of message:

> scons: *** Version of 10 of MSVC not found for target win32-x86_64. Found version are ['9.0']

> File "C:\Users\jlkenny\code\parts\parts\__init__.py", line 7, in <module>

Yes, the above is what we should aim for, with the toolchain revamp.
Totally agree. However today, everyone would see those errors, even
if not using C/C++ at all, and I'm afraid that's not acceptable. We
need to call the tools "on demand" (which has challenges) and allow
more flexible specification of what tools a user wants (cares about).
So really we need to get going on toolchain revamp! It's the first
big project on my list, after getting the next release out (with a new
release procedure, still in process).

> Given the current SCons code the user should be able to say:

> scons mytarget TARGET_ARCH=x86

Except for the fact that assignments on the cmd line don't
automatically propagate into new construction environments, this is
right.