[Scons-dev] 2.2.0 soon?

Eric S. Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Sun Jul 29 15:34:55 EDT 2012

Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>:

> I agree about the importance of getting this in, but would like to

> push 2.2 out first. Two reasons: 1, I think your patch will need some

> real-world testing in checkpoint releases for a while before we get it

> all right on all platforms, and I'd like to not hold 2.2 for that.

That is reasonable. I think this should be the top-priority new feature
for 2.3, though. I believe the lack of it has been slowing down scons
adoption a *lot*.

> And 2, the work needed to integrate it is more than I can do in a few

> hours: it needs tests and doc (I think both user guide and man page)

> at least.

> Have you created a Tigris ticket for it, with your patch?

I have not, because I don't have anything I consider a final patch.
I never had a patch to scons itself; what I had was code that created
a pseudo-builtin in my recipe file.

The reason I have not pursued this is because, as I said in my last
email, I now think having a separate versioned-shared-library builtin
may not be the right thing. The profusion of builtins in scons is
bewildering and something of a problem; wouldn't it be better to have
SharedLibrary take a version argument and do the right thing?

This goal makes a larger problem of the fact that I don't know your code
and I don't know your test frameworks. It's probably about three
hours' work to fold this feature into SharedLibrary starting from my
code for someone who already knows your code, but I'd have to spend a
couple of days learning my way in first. Sorry, but that just seems
like an inefficient and silly way to do things - and I'm swamped with
work on three other projects.

Would someobody more on the inside take the lead on this, please?
I'm willing to help live-test the results and write documentation.