[Scons-dev] User-specified signature function (was: Re: Feature request / patch)

Eric W. Anderson andersoe at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 31 14:52:15 EDT 2012

Hi Jason (and list),

To be clear, I'm not proposing that that particular signature function should
become part of SCons. What I want to add to the "core" SCons code is the
necessary set of hooks to accept and run user-supplied signature-generating
functions. Indeed, the whole point is to allow users to supply something which
we wouldn't want _in general_, but is right for their needs. I see this as the
missing half of the user-specified Decider: You can write a much broader range
of functions if you can ensure that whatever information your decider needs has
been gathered.

In my particular situation, the build tools themselves cause "spurious" changes
to the source files. Unless those changes are somehow filtered out, the files
are _always_ changed, so a false rebuild occurs every single time. That's
mostly an issue of poor tool design, but I'm stuck with it.

-Eric

Thus spake Kenny, Jason L (jason.l.kenny at intel.com):