[Scons-dev] User-specified signature function (was: Re: Feature request / patch)

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Aug 31 12:38:43 EDT 2012

Interesting idea. However here are some cons to consider.

1) this will take longer to process ( increase startup time) as one has to parse the file for a certain type of comment(s)
2) a number of tools process values that are in the comments

In your case you point out how a comment that is updated by a VCS tool with a value of a new date, etc can cause a false rebuild of the code. That same value can be used by another tools to make documentation updates, or define many other values. Maybe in your case this is not so. You are suggesting that we have a tool based MD5 for a given node... i.e. I want a MD5 only of the content that the tool cares about, which could be one or more different signature per node.

Jason