[meteorite-list] Nice iron meteorite unclassified

Graham Ensor graham.ensor at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:18:35 EDT 2024

Interesting to discuss Anne, It is true it is a gamble sometimes buying
unclassified material, especially as there are so many unusual achondrites
turning up these days that look like terrestrial rocks. But in a way that's
the point. There has been so much new research into these rocks so as the
desert hunters are spotting these rocks that do not fit the local geology
and offering them up unclassified then it's often worth the gamble..indeed
some are sending them direct to institutions more and more because so many
are turning out to be unusual metoeites. .that's how so many of these new
types are being found and those offering them and those taking the gamble
are contibuting so much to research in recent times.

I gambled on buying an unclassied NWA a few years back in Ensisheim that
looked as if it may turn out to be a CM and I wanted another larger CM to
replace others I'd let go for research, one being a 54g Murchison. It sat
in my collection for a while and then I decided I'd get the classification
done to confirm what I thought. Indeed I was wrong as when I cut it, it
looked like no other carbonaceous meteorite I'd seen before. I took it to
be classified and eventually it turned out to be a unique ungrouped
carbonaceous specimen. I donated extra and eventually more work will be
done to investigate further. So not only did I and the seller end up
helping to discover something new and contribute something extra to
science, I gained a very special piece for my collection.

All classified material was once unclassied and somebody had to take a
gamble on getting the work done, either as finder, buyer or researcher.
There is a danger in buying unclassified material but in the end it comes
down to how experienced the buyers and sellers are. It's unlikely to turn
out well if an inexperienced collector buys from a new or unknown seller.

Graham