[meteorite-list] Nice iron meteorite unclassified

Anne Black impactika at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 17:35:08 EDT 2024

Hello Ed,
Thank you for asking. To me buying an unclassified meteorite is like buying a lottery ticket, maybe you will be lucky, maybe you won't, I have been dealing with meteorites for nearly 30 years and I have seen too many very good meteorwrongs. Do you remember Shirokovsky?  And even if it is really a meteorite, what type is it?  Imagine buying a mass of Portales Valley without knowing about the metal veins in it. Or a Tarda or a Murchison as "just" an unclassified but  probably carbonaceous chondrite. You would miss so much, meteorites are not just interesting rocks, they come a long way and have so much more to tell us.
As for aesthetics, I certainly agree and I hate to see meteorites chopped in crumbs, but it only requires 20g and it can be done so as not damage the meteorite. Here is an example, I am sure you can see where it was cut, but I think you will agree that it does not damage the look of the meteorite, and yes it is now in the Met.Bulletin, it is Burns, an octahedrite IIIAB:   MPOD 131231 from Tucson Meteorites

|  |  |

|  |
MPOD 131231 from Tucson Meteorites

I certainly hope that I answered your question. Thanks.
Anne BlackIMPACTIKA.comimpactika at aol.com