[meteorite-list] Show me the Shock

ALAN RUBIN aerubin at ucla.edu
Tue Jul 25 15:31:11 EDT 2023

I am really surprised that a press release was issued on work that has not
even been submitted for peer-reviewed publication. There seems to be no age
data, no bulk chemical data, and no shock data. The authors seem to claim
it was launched off Earth just 10,000 years ago, but I don't know where
this comes from. Of course, there is no large terrestrial crater of that
age. If the crystallization age is 4.5 billion years, then it is not from
Earth. If the rock was launched from Earth, the required energy would melt
it. The rock is listed as an achondrite, so that part fits, but it would
have melted during launch 10,000 years ago (if that number is valid), not
billions of years ago. I remain skeptical and surprised at the precipitous
press release.