[meteorite-list] Leonard David FYI: damage hand magnets used by amateurs do to meteorites

Alfredo Petrov alfredo at mindat.org
Wed Apr 12 09:47:34 EDT 2023

Re the destruction of magnetic data in meteorites by hand magnets, I wonder
whether the thousands of professionally collected fresh Falls, and
professionally collected Antarctic Finds, aren't sufficient for all the
paleomagnetism research that will ever get done? At some point the
relatively small number of such researchers must get saturated with all the
diverse samples they have time to study.

And magnets are mainly used on older finds which, I imagine, must be less
relevant to planetary studies anyway, as they've been on Earth a long time,
exposed to the Earth's magnetic field, and the influence of nearby
lightning strikes, etc., hardly sources of reliable data anymore. So the
worries about this might just be a tempest in a teapot.