[meteorite-list] Cristobalite

ALAN RUBIN aerubin at ucla.edu
Fri May 21 19:10:17 EDT 2021

Free silica is at most an accessory component in known meteorites. If
the whole rock has a high cristobalite peak, it is likely a
terrestrial rock. Possibilities include sandstone, quartzite and
various silicaceous igneous rocks.

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 4:05 PM yasmani.ceballo--- via Meteorite-list
<meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com> wrote:

> Hello friends
> I have a surviving difractogram of a rock that was thinked to be
> meteorite in the past, but now is lost.
> The only information we have is the presence of these minerals:
> cristobalite, quartz, olivine, enstatite, plagioclase and amorphous
> materials. Probably super high peaks of cristobalite, followed by
> quartz.
> This is the only information we have, so I know is nothing, but with
> that how we can say?
> I mean, a high cristobalite peak mean anything? There is no
> cristobalite in the geology of the area where the rock is believed to
> have fallen.
> Thanks

> EXTREMELY RARE MARTIAN AND LUNAR MAIN MASS METEORITES
> https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27190/
> Coming to auction in Bonhams Meteorites Online sale.  Browse 90+ lots of superb planetary meteorite specimens & impact memorabilia, including rare main mass Martian and Lunar meteorites.
>
> Bid online May 18-28 at Bonhams : Meteorites Online
> https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/27190/

Alan Rubin
Institute of Geophysics and Planetary Physics
Department of Earth, Planetary, and Space Sciences
University of California
3845 Slichter Hall
603 Charles Young Dr. E
Los Angeles, CA  90095-1567