[meteorite-list] EBAY SCAM ALERT - balogne_t - Attn: DEALERSBLOCK HIM NOW

Richard Montgomery rickmont at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 27 20:28:11 EST 2012

Hi List,
I am currently awaiting response for receipt of a sale from the recipient in
the Russian Federation for a small but nice Sikhote Alin batch they
purchased (hey! a reverse fall!)...and based upon their ebay feedback
numbers being very small, they asked for a tracking number.   Of course, as
is being discussed here, international delivery confirmations rest solely
upon the recipient's word.

Our local US Postal rep (whom I respect), upon being asked "Since Delivery
Confirmation isn't available for international deliveries, how can I be sure
if and when it arrives?" the response was:  "When they tell you it did."

....At which point I promptly took a picture of the package and
receipt-generated, containing the US Customs "number".....(I have no idea
how worthy this will be in an ebay court-of-appeals), and sent the pictures
back to the buyer who seemed pleased, leaving it in the (currently) hands of
the US Customs office....but that also potentially opens up a new can of
worms.

Needless to say, international sharing of our precious space material has
been working for decades.  I'm hoping to hear from some of you with years of
experiences...

-Richard Montgomery