[meteorite-list] O.T. Copper Hunt Keweenaw Peninsula Michigan

wahlperry at aol.com wahlperry at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 23:09:12 EDT 2011

Hi Larry,

What a cool find.

Sonny

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Atkins <thetoprok at aol.com>
To: meteorite-list <meteorite-list at meteoritecentral.com>
Sent: Wed, Jun 22, 2011 1:20 pm
Subject: [meteorite-list] O.T. Copper Hunt Keweenaw Peninsula Michigan

Hi List,Please excuse the off topic post but this is too cool and I
can't help it.In May I followed up my successful Nevada dry lake
meteorite hunt with a trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula in the upper
peninsula of Michigan to metal detect for float copper.  I went with
two friends, Darryl and Greg and we had a great time. We found 4 float
specimens, copper ores, agates, and more interesting in a way, I found
an ingot, but not a typical ingot. While metal detecting a remote beach
where no copper smelting and little mining is known to have taken
place, I found an ingot of an iron and copper mix. Experts in the
mining history of the region say it is unique and unlike any ingots
they know of. All the known ingots are larger and are nearly pure
copper, not containing iron. I thought it was from a shipwreck at first
because I found it on the shore of Lake Superior but they say it is
smaller than what was typically put on ship. It's 5.75 inches long by
~.825 inches wide on all sides and weighs about 1.75 pounds.It's
another mystery!  I find the weirdest
things.http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/alienrockfarm/Keweenaw%20
Peninnsula%20Copper%20Hunt%20May%202011/Sincerely,Larry Atkins IMCA #
1941Ebay alienrockfarm ______________________________________________Visi
t the Archives at
http://www.meteoritecentral.com/mailing-list-archives.htmlMeteorite-list
mailing