[meteorite-list] O.T. Copper Hunt Keweenaw Peninsula Michigan

Larry Atkins thetoprok at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 20:20:29 EDT 2011

Hi List,

Please excuse the off topic post but this is too cool and I can't help
it.

In May I followed up my successful Nevada dry lake meteorite hunt with
a trip to the Keweenaw Peninsula in the upper peninsula of Michigan to
metal detect for float copper.  I went with two friends, Darryl and
Greg and we had a great time. We found 4 float specimens, copper ores,
agates, and more interesting in a way, I found an ingot, but not a
typical ingot. While metal detecting a remote beach where no copper
smelting and little mining is known to have taken place, I found an
ingot of an iron and copper mix. Experts in the mining history of the
region say it is unique and unlike any ingots they know of. All the
known ingots are larger and are nearly pure copper, not containing
iron. I thought it was from a shipwreck at first because I found it on
the shore of Lake Superior but they say it is smaller than what was
typically put on ship. It's 5.75 inches long by ~.825 inches wide on
all sides and weighs about 1.75 pounds.

It's another mystery!  I find the weirdest things.

http://s934.photobucket.com/albums/ad190/alienrockfarm/Keweenaw%20Peninnsula%20Copper%20Hunt%20May%202011/

Sincerely,
Larry Atkins

IMCA # 1941