[meteorite-list] Meteorites 101

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Jan 15 19:51:45 EST 2011

Most researchers I know consider the body to be a meteoroid while it is in
its meteor phase. The term "meteoroid" is used to specifically identify the
body, and distinguish it from the meteor effect.

It is also common, and IMO correct, to talk of a meteorite before it hits
the ground. Once the meteor phase has ended, surviving material will become
meteorites, and may quite acceptably be called such (as in discussing "the
dark flight phase of a meteorite").

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory