[meteorite-list] Wisconsin Slices - Best Available - AD

Greg Hupe gmhupe at htn.net
Tue May 11 16:41:45 EDT 2010

Dear List Members,

After nearly three weeks of hunting time in the Wisconsin strewnfield, I
managed to find two meteorites with a combined weight of just 64 grams.
During my second trip to WI, I met with Joe Kerchner and purchased a thick
42-gram slice (54mm x 35mm x 5-8mm) from his 332-gram find. I sent it to
have thin slices made on a wire saw and just received them from the cutter.
One word to describe these slices, "Wow!" The cost and cut loss was well
worth the effort as it makes for some outstanding parallel-cut slices with a
generous surface area-to-weight ratio, which displays the awesome
brecciation of this meteorite, something the tiny fragments and part slices
being offered do not display. Each slice will be shipped in a 100mm x 75mm
membrane box.

I have just six slices and a gem jar of fragments. I am offering these on a
"Best Offer" basis (No Trades, please), and if accepted, I will notify the
person with the highest offer. I will include three newspapers with articles
of the fall and recovery efforts. The 'scale cube' in the photos measures
1cm on visible sides (not included) and is a Galena crystal (lead sulfide) I
collected from a road cut on Highway 151 in Mineral Point, a stone's throw
from the strewnfield. The area around the meteorite fall has a rich history
in lead mining.

I will consider all offers up until 5:00 PM (EST - Florida) Thursday, May
20th.

9.47g complete slice (fusion crust along ~60% of edge)
54mm x 35mm x 2mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00001.jpg

6.94g complete slice (crust along ~60% of edge)
52mm x 38mm x 1.5mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00002.jpg

6.26g complete slice (crust along ~60% of edge, has slight raised area on
back at original angle cut)
52mm x 35mm x 1mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00003.jpg

4.91g part slice (crust along ~50% of edge,
50mm x 33mm x 1-0mm (very thin, can be trimmed down to make smaller part
slices)
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00004.jpg

4.53g complete slice (crust along ~60% of edge)
53mm x 35mm x 1mm
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00005.jpg

1.58g part slice (crust along ~10% of edge)
49mm x 16mm x 1-0mm (very thin, can be trimmed down to make smaller part
slices)
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00006.jpg

134mg fragments in jem jar
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00007.jpg

Newspapers included with each slice:
1) The Platteville Journal, April 21, 2010
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00008.jpg
2) The Dodgeville Chronicle, April 22, 2020
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00010.jpg
3) Fennimore Times, April 29, 2010
http://www.lunarrock.com/WisconsinMeteorite/dsc00014.jpg

Shipping :
United States ($8.00, 2 packages): Slices will be shipped Priority Mail,
newspapers mailed separately in padded envelope First-Class.
Overseas ($15.00, 2 packages): International First-Class, newspapers will be
mailed separately in padded envelope.

Thank you for your interest, and "Good Luck" to those who are interested!

Best regards,
Greg

Greg Hupe
The Hupe Collection