[meteorite-list] Saw Blades

bcmeteorites bcmeteorites at gmail.com
Sat May 8 10:16:40 EDT 2010

Hi Al and all,

I have tried many different blades for both meteorite (stone and iron) as well
as lapidary work.

Regarding the CBN blades I talked to the gentleman that developed the CBN
blade a few years ago in Tucson and expressed my displeasure in the CBN blade
basically coming apart during the first cut with the cutting material just peeling off
the core.  What was interesting is that he had sold the blade to a manufacture to
continue making them and that is about the time everyone started having problems!!
He thought it had to do with something they had changed in his original bonding process.
Anyway, I tried a few more and agree that there can be issues using them and the
manufacture has not solved the problem and created the quality of the "original"
CBN blade.
I have had some ok results if you are cutting stones and small irons, but you have
to gravity feed with very little pressure.  Once the first bit of material comes off
the edge the blade is basically done.  This just seems like to much trouble and
risk for the cost of the blade.

However, after much struggling with cutting irons with a round blade I invested
in a horizontal band saw.  This is without a doubt the best (in my opinion)
way to cut irons.  The drawback for most would be the size of the saw and
possibly investment cost.
My saw is about 4ft wide x 1-1/2ft deep by 3ft tall and weighs over 300lbs.
The band saw then opens up a whole new discussion of what type of blades
to use, how many teeth per inch, blade speed, feed speed and types of
cutting coolants.

I agree with many that the Pro Slicer is a very good blade for cutting irons and
stones.  These blades can be purchased with a thin kerf to keep cutting loss to
a minimum and they do not tend to bend or warp.  Also, in my small (4") saw I
have used a really inexpensive no name import blades and they hold up extremely
well.

The MK303 sintered continuous rim blades will also work very will and produce
some of the smoothest cuts with virtually no saw marks that need to be lapped
out.  If you use a thin kerf MK303 and with out much finish lap work needed
this all contributes to reducing cut loss.

I also agree with what Ed said in his post about technique.  It seems that
no two stones or irons want to cut the same and you need to adjust to
work with the material and not work against it.

Best Regards to all!

Bob Falls
Colorado Springs, Colorado