[meteorite-list] Perseids.

Linton Rohr lintonius at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 16 02:19:01 EDT 2010

Greg, Michael, List,
Glad to hear that many of you were able to enjoy the show.
I spent three days up in the White Mountains, east of Bishop, CA, near the
Nevada border. The area is home to the Bristlecone Pines - the oldest living
things, at up to 4,000 years old. Being in the rain shadow of the Sierra
Nevada, we didn't see a single cloud the whole time. The sky was very
transparent, and dark enough that we were able to easily see the zodiacal
light beginning around 3:00 or 3:30. We enjoyed plenty of DSO observing
early on, when we weren't just sitting back watching for meteors. I didn't
have a counting device, but I'd estimate we saw about 100 before midnight,
and another 200 between midnight and 4:00. They seemed to be almost equally
divided between bright ones with ion trails and faint ones without. Of the
bright ones, almost half of them had persistent trains, visible over 60-90
degrees across the sky. The shorter ones probably spanned  10-15 degrees. We
had a couple of long "skippers", an orange "firework" that seemed to explode
and then fall, and even a very bright one that might have qualified as a
bolide. A great night, all in all. One that I'll always remember.
Linton