[meteorite-list] strange rock - meteor wrong sliced

Mike Hankey mike.hankey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 21:46:31 EDT 2009

List member Derik Bower sliced up the strange rock that was reported
to me last week. (thanks Derik)

I originally thought this was a type of slag. When I sent the pics out
to the list a lot of people said it was worth following up on.

The window test revealed some bubbles and it was game over at that
point. I wanted to slice it open just to see what it looked like on
the inside:

http://www.mikesastrophotos.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/gideon-rock-slice.jpg

Thanks for all the help last week with this. I learned several new
identification tests:
- base density test
- window test
- tile scrape test