[meteorite-list] Caldwell, KS impact melt breccia AD, sort of

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 00:55:48 EST 2009

Hello List,

The Caldwell, Kansas Meteorite Story.

For 16  years or so, I have been chasing after the Caldwell, Kansas
meteorite.  The  1986 version of the BMNH Catalogue (my original treasure map) listed
this meteorite as being found in 1961, being 12.9 kg TKW with only about 50
grams represented in all collections world wide.

This discrepancy in  weights made the treasure hunter in me say "Hummmm..."

My hunch was that  someone had found this meteorite and sent Nininger or Huss
a chip off it.   It probably was determined that it was indeed a meteorite,
but the finder, for  whatever reason, didn't want to sell it back then.  This
scenario, while  very rare, did happen at least one other time that I know
about in the past  century.  Both Nininger and Huss were known for being
persistent at getting  specimens the located out of the field and into the lab.

In the  case of multiple finds from a strewnfield, the need wasn't as great
to  get ALL of them, but in the case of single specimen finds, there was a
logical case that could be made that science needed to study the new finds, and
thus, not many of those got away.

So for a couple of years, I tried to  find who had this rock.  I would ask
around the Caldwell area when my field  trips took me to that part of Kansas,
all with no luck.

One day I decided  to write to Margaret Huss (daughter of Nininger and widow
of Glen Huss) in  Colorado and I asked her what the old AML records might have
on the Caldwell  meteorite.  In her gracious and helpful way, she responded
by giving me the  name of the finder, Vernie Havorka.  Their records showed
that the AML did  get a piece of this meteorite, but that was all.

Some research on my part  showed that there was no longer any Havorkas in the
Caldwell area.  A  little more detective work and eventually I located the
original finder in  another city.  I paid a visit to Vernie's home and we struck
up a  great conversation and a friendship was formed.

He showed me his  meteorite, and told me about the find.  Nothing dramatic,
just that he had  hit it with the plow on his family farm outside of Caldwell.
He mentioned  that both Nininger and Huss had paid him a couple of visits
over the years, but  that he never really wanted to part with the rock.  Although
he had given  one of the men a piece for testing and verification.

When I asked if he  would want to sell it now, he told me that it was in his
Will, designated to go  to his son upon his death, and that it wasn't for
sale.

Vernie was a  part time pastor of a small country church and he had taken
quite a few  missionary trips over seas.  He was full of stories of exciting
trips to  exotic places.  We would talk, sometimes for hours about far away
places.  One trip I remember him talking about was going to the U.S.S.R.  before
their break up.  It was an interesting story, one that I used as a  spring board
to think about what it would be like to go to Russia and travel to  the
Sikhote Alin site on a "missionary" trip of my own to "save" some of those  lost
rocks.

Early on, I had mentioned to Alan Rubin at UCLA about finding  the Caldwell
finder, and Dr. Rubin asked if there was a way I could get him just  a little
piece of the rock for some more detailed testing.  So, the next  time I was in
Kansas, I popped in on Vernie, and made the request, and he  obliged by
letting me take off a small piece around 20 grams.

I got the  fragment to UCLA and they were able to determine that the rock was
indeed an  L-impact melt breccia.  The portion he got from me was of the
impact  portion, so a more detailed classification wasn't forthcoming.

While I  took Vernie at his word, that he didn't want to sell his specimen
that he  treasured, over the years I would still pop in on him.  I remember
showing  him, in his driveway, the 280 pound "Rediscovery Stone" I found at
Brenham in  2005, that was just a few days before I ended up finding the Brenham
Main Mass.  That was one of several finds I had showed him over the years  when
I had a good excuse to stop in to see him again.  We would talk about  various
things and I would eventually get around to half heartedly asking if he  was
sure he didn't want to sell his rock yet?

The answer was always the same.

This last fall, I was passing near  Vernie's home on the way out to shoot the
Discovery TV meteorite segment at  Brenham, when strangely there wasn't an
answer at his door.  I left him a  note saying "hi" on my business card and I
went on.   Several  weeks later I received a phone call from Vernie's son
informing me that Vernie  had passed away very near the time I last stopped by and
left my last  note.

The conversation with his son veered around different  topics, including how
much Vernie enjoyed his meteorite.  I mentioned to  the son that Vernie had
indicated that while he was alive, he didn't want to  part with the meteorite,
but that it would be his son's decision to make at a  later time.   I asked
Vernie's son if he would possibly be interested  in selling the rock, and he was
at least open to the idea.  Several  conversations later, he eventually
decided to sell it.

Most of the  meteorite, including the main mass portion, is now in the
permanent collection  of the Kansas Meteorite Society.  As I understand, the Kansas
Meteorite  Society guys are going to continue to sell a small number of
limited edition 1g  pieces on Ebay over time, but not much of what they have will be
up for  resale.
Several other institutions have shown a strong interest  in acquiring some of
this material from me via trades.  But the modern red  tape filled process
will delay me knowing just how much will be eventually  available to private
collectors for some time.  My guess is that only about  500 grams total will make
it to private collections, maybe a bit less.

This meteorite is very interesting looking.  While it is an impact  melt, it
does not have the appearance of Cat Mountain or Smyer.  But there  is a very
distinct dark melt zone and the non melted portion has this very  pretty Aqua
color to it.  A color I am not sure I have ever seen in a  meteorite before.

I have cut and prepped 15 part slices, totaling 431  grams and in each of
these part slices I have preserved some of both  lythologies.

I will be bringing what I have left of these part slices  (from 4.5 grams up
to 76 grams) to Tucson with me, however I did want to give  everyone on the
list an opportunity to get one now, before the show.    For those of you who ARE
going to Tucson, when I get there, you can look through  what I will have
left, if I have any left then.

If you buy a  slice now, and if you are also going to Tucson you can always
choose to trade  the piece you buy now out for another piece, if you see one
then that you think  you like better, again, if I have any left by the time I
get to Tucson

I  expect to sell out of these I have set aside for collectors, so if you
want a  beautiful new meteorite, one that got away from Nininger and Huss, here
is your  chance.  A beautiful rock, with a nice story, at a fair price.  What
more would a collector want?

If you are interested in purchasing a part  slice, please email me off list,
for a list of what I have available and the  prices on them.

And I would be remiss if I didn't remind you that your  support in buying
meteorites from full time field hunters, like myself, helps us  get back out in
the field to find you more meteorites for your collection  later.

Your support is always appreciated.

Email me OFF list if you want  more details.

Thank you for your consideration,

Steve Arnold  #1
www.SteveArnoldMeteorites.com

steps!