[meteorite-list] Progress or ruination?

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Fri Jan 9 13:38:56 EST 2009

Hey MikeG,

First off, the Atacama is a  very large place.  Lot's of meteorites still to
be found in desolate  areas.  I don't think there will be any concern about
filling up a fraction  of 1% of it, much less all of it.  There would be room
for several billion  inmates if anyone decided to build a prison there.

WARNING, I am swerving  off the Meteorite Topic in the rest of my email!

Second, I do want to  take issue with you on your comment:

"But, we also have to recognize that  opinions such as these reflect our
cultural values.  We are trying,  again, to force our views of life
and standards of living on other  cultures.  The wealthy powers have
always done this - we are saving the  savages from damnation and
bringing them the dignity of literacy and running  water.  Sound
familiar?"

I really don't think this is a matter of  western culture's Hollywood forcing
their morals on the rest of the world people  who are living a more
traditional life.  I think this is a matter of  letting people make the choice for
themselves.  There is a reason why  Coca-Cola is everywhere, there is something
about it that makes people like to  buy it once the pop machine is plugged in.

Actually, I would think  historically there is more precedent for the wealthy
powers to want to keep the  masses poor, dependent and ignorant, rather than
prosperous, independent and  educated.

It seems around the world, it is the local leaders  (often religious) that
want to stop our western culture from spreading into  their strongholds, and all
the while it is their people, that they control, that  want the freedom.

Yes, rich people or governments (not that the Chilean  Government should be
considered "wealthy") will be putting up the hotels and  will cultivate the
tourism.  Yes, it might encroach on some people that  want the old simple life in
the San Pedro hut.   But, if the business  efforts are successful, then the
poor people can sell their hut for $1,000,000  move a hundred kilometers down
the dirt road, build or buy another $1,000 house,  and put the rest of the
money under their mattress, or burn it for a cooking  fire.

Ask 500 poor people in the village if they each want $1,000,000 and  the
choices of life that money would bring, or to be stuck in their  poverty?  My
guess is that 498 will say they want the money and the choices  it brings.

Such is progress.   I think letting people have  their own choice is
important.  More often than not, people that are held  back, without the choices, are
ones that would rather break out of the  restraints of their parents culture.
After all, it wasn't a child's fault  they were born when and where they were.

The irony is that many in our  modern western culture are tired of it, and
are looking for something new, or in  some cases, something old.  Cool.  That is
what choice and freedom are  all about.  And a little prosperity helps one
have more  choices.

NOTICE:  All these comments come from a guy who lives in  the sticks of
Arkansas, in a dry county without a single movie theater or even a  single stop
light, who lives in a hand hewn dog trot log cabin built in 1866 and  who just
got TV a couple of weeks ago and who home schools his kids.

I  know, such an email as this can incite riots.

And I would probably  agree with 99% of what people say about how evil our
culture is, and how it  would be best if the rest of the world was NOT like us.

Anyway, I  just know how excited I was to get away from the culture of my
small Kansas town  I grew up in, to get to the big city culture when I got out of
high  school.

The grass is always greener, isn't it?

Choices are  wonderful.

God Bless America!

Steve Arnold  #1
Arkansas

In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:36:02 A.M.  Central Standard Time,