[meteorite-list] August 24th fireball over Canada

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Thu Aug 27 22:07:49 EDT 2009

>>I've been following eyewitness  reports of a fireball that was seen at
around
9:00pm on August 24th over  Canada.  I made a blog post about it the next
morning, where I compiled  25 eyewitness reports from Twitter users:<<

I read these reports  and this is what I've initially come up with...

I get the impression that  there is a chance for a meteorite to have been
dropped by this fireball. This is  solely based on one person saying they
heard a "bang" (sonic boom I presume).  Another person said that it lasted for
about 2 seconds...so this eliminates a  satellite. Another person said that
it traveled very fast across the sky. Also  eliminating a satellite.
Traveling very fast across the sky causes me to  interpret this as a fireball of
cometary origin...not likely to drop meteorites  if this is the case. One
person said it was only 20 yards away from them and  another said it was about
300 yards away. The question that comes to my mind for  them is "Why didn't
you pick up the meteorite?" only being 20 yards away. I  assume they are
referring to being able to see it only because it was  incandescent. I assume
this to be the case...then the question comes to mind as  to how big it must
have been to be incandescent while it's only about 20 yards  above the earth.
Roughly 10 tons in weight traveling at least 2 or 3 miles per  second. Now
I'm thinking, "How did they survive?" :O)
George Zay