[meteorite-list] Neither Carbonado Nor Meteorite

Fries, Marc D marc.d.fries at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 9 12:14:20 EDT 2009

A carbonado with fusion crust?  My skepticism meter is pegged.  If true it
would be of extraordinary scientific interest, but the problem is that
diamond doesn¹t melt.  It evaporates.  Silicates are content to form what is
basically a liquid silicon oxide, but carbon oxides (CO, CO2) are gases, not
liquids.  Diamond doesn¹t flow ­ it goes poof.

I looked at those pictures, and there are little spallation flakes on one
side that remind me an awful lot of a carbonate rock.

Caveat emptor.

Cheers,
MDF