[meteorite-list] Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 16:12:27 EDT 2009

Okay...below is most of the article about what  this guy saw. First of all,
the time of sighting was at 9:45 pm Sunday NIGHT. If  it wasn't glowing and was
in the process of "dark flight" when it hit the water,  he's got one heck of
a good eyesight. It would have to be traveling at least a  couple hundred
miles per hour when it went over his car. At that velocity or  more and at night,
I doubt I could have picked up on a large object whistling by  overhead. I
know I wouldn't have been able to see it...particularly while  driving a car.
Then a meteorite that has yet to land, has a few minutes of dark  flight to
experience. I'm kinda curious as to how this guy would make the  connection of
seeing a bright meteor, followed by a few minutes of  darkness(which it would have
to have during dark flight), to the whistling noise  overhead that landed in
the water...unless he was claiming it to be  incandescent. :O) He also says
that he was driving over the Chesapeake Bay  Bridge "when night turned briefly
into day. " "There it was, coming right at my  car. It was so fast that I
didn't even have time to think that I might have been  in danger. It shot right
over my car, it went down in the water right between  the two bridges."
Well...I'm convinced he's alluding that it was incandescent  all the way to the water.
So for it to be incandescent to the water, the  meteorite would have to be
about ten tons plus traveling over 9,000 mph. That  must have been one heck of a
splash. :O)
George Zay
Most of the article  below:
"But only one person has said he saw where it landed.
Joe Butler of  Suffolk says he was driving south across the Chesapeake Bay
Bridge-Tunnel when  night turned briefly into day.
"The sky was light all of a sudden, like it  was daytime," Butler recalled on
Friday. "There it was, coming right at my car.  It was so fast that I didn't
even have time to think that I might have been in  danger.
"It shot right over my car, it went down in the water right between  the two
bridges."
Butler said he was near the tallest part of the bridge,  near Fisherman
Island, where the northbound and southbound lanes separate  widely. The meteor, he
said, splashed into the water between them.
"I was  like, what in the world is going on?" Butler said. "My daughter, she
said, 'Wow,  what was that, Daddy?' and I said, 'I don't know, babe, I think
that was a  falling star.' "
The meteor flashed past Hampton Roads around 9:45 p.m.  Sunday, briefly
lighting up the landscape.
It was followed one to two minutes  later by a sonic boom, which experts said
meant it had penetrated deep enough  into the atmosphere to leave
meteorites.<<