[meteorite-list] Suffolk man says he saw meteor hit

GeoZay at aol.com GeoZay at aol.com
Sat Apr 4 15:50:40 EDT 2009

>>There are a few things left out of the  report.

Duration of the event, distance from his location, angle of  decent,
speed and azimuth. If the guy witnessed the entire event from  beginning
to end and the fireball was very far away at first sighting, that
explains why he may not have heard the boom. It could be that it reached
the retardation point long before coming close to him. The whistling
noise reported is also intriguing.

The report does NOT state that the  ball of fire hit the water. Only that
he witnessed a ball of  fire.

EXCERPT:

"The shape of it, it was just too perfect to be a  piece of junk. It
looked just like a miniature comet, pretty much," he said.  "It was
really, really white with blue flames. It was pretty  wild."<<

Well...if it reached the point of retardation while he was  observing it. and
unless this thing was way huge, I kinda doubt he would be able  to keep sight
of it during several minutes of "dark flight" and driving at the  same time.
>From the write up, he does mention that it appeared "really, really  white
with blue flames." and also said it looked like "a miniature comet." With  these
statements, I get the impression he claims to have watched it hit the  water
while its still glowing.
GeoZay