[meteorite-list] How about a thread to discuss hunting ethics - west

MeteorHntr at aol.com MeteorHntr at aol.com
Thu Apr 2 20:00:18 EDT 2009

Hello George,

I have done something  similar in the past at places like what we did at
Brenham.  But with so  much land to cover at West, and so little time to cover it,
for me it was just  easier to hunt where one was wanted.  I had ground where
land owners were  happy to let us hunt with no return to them, so it was fine
to spend most of the  time with that ground.

To pay to hunt, or to pay a "royalty" to a land  owner on anything found,
might be okay if there were not other options and other  places to go that cost
nothing.

Racing the crops going in, other  hunters, the coming rains, the growing
grass, the emerging rattlesnakes, it was  just easier to go where it was easier
and cheaper since it all couldn't be  hunted by one person anyway.

Of course, for someone that wants to try to  do that now, they have to cut
through all the preconceived ideas the landowners  have built, just so they will
be open enough to hear such a sales pitch.  I  would think if someone is in
the area now, it would be a valid option to try,  especially if it is for
unhunted ground, not in crops, not in tall growing  grass, in part of the
strewnfield where the meteorites would not have buried  themselves too deep into the
ground, where their holes would be filled in with  mud by now.

Steve Arnold
Arkansas

In a message dated  4/2/2009 6:35:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, ks1u at att.net