[meteorite-list] A question about an iron fleck in NWA 2977 Lunar

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Sat Aug 9 18:41:46 EDT 2008

Hi list,  I had a question about an iron  fleck I found in a thin section of
NWA 2977 Lunar.  Jim Strope sent it to  me.

I plan to use this as next months Meteorite Times Micro Vision and  want to
be accurate.

The thin is polished to 1/4 micron.  This  sometimes has the same effect as
etching but on a much finer scale.  I have  observed it in other materials that
get this kind of polish.

There is a  fleck of iron in this material.  In this fleck is what looks like
micro  Widmanstatten pattern.

Can this pattern be called  Widmanstatten?  If not, are the creation
processes the same as with full  sized Widmanstatten?  How would it be still present
in a lunar?  Could  the pattern survive a meteor collision with the moon and
not be heated to the  point of destruction?

I would like to email micrographs to any one who is  interested or, even
better, might have the answers.

The images are taken  in incident cross polarized light and I am using a
Glan/Thompson style polarizer  that allows me near total extinction.  I pull up
the changes in the pattern  by slight rotation of the polarizer.  The
magnification of these images is  1600X.

Thanks,  Tom Phillips

Read reviews on AOL Autos.