[meteorite-list] Steve Arnold's Famous Reverse Auction

mexicodoug at aim.com mexicodoug at aim.com
Tue Apr 29 02:00:46 EDT 2008

Hi again Steve #1,

"AND having  said ALL that, I don't even know if I will call this a
"Reverse Auction."

Agreed, that sounds to me like a Liquidation Sale, or maybe an
Inventory Annihilation Sale, like a car dealership might have.  Any way
you put it, it sounds like you are making an effort to open serious
opportunity.  See my comments below regarding a real reverse-auction*.

Sometimes you really can get good deals.  But, theoretically, if only
one item is for sale, the expected revenue from the sale is identical
to an auction as long as you have full participation.  If I had to
guess, I'd say the payback to you will be lower than a normal auction,
mainly because you will lose some participation by varying the standard
format (lose some people, though you hope the opposite by varying), and
also because you are limiting the upside (sometimes to seller's
delights).

If the payout for the Seller is equivalent - What do you think makes an
auction (eBay proxy style) so popular for buyers, IMO it's the foreplay
where everyone can interact to raise the bid and has the equality, a
vicarious scent of "winning" on a level field against the needs of
museums, scientists, collectors, etc., while their bid is the highest -
and that maybe others won't pay attention - which can happen.  Once
people start participating it's like rolling vs. static friction, and
things can heat up.  This is why jump bidding is so contentious: does
it start the roll (yes), but does it stop the rolling (?) ...

To reproduce such a feeling and give us a truly revolutionary auction,
let me suggest the following simplier and perilous scheme:

Steve's revised oriented liquidation 'auction':
1. Announce the start time well in advance.
2. Put everything up as buy-it-now, the starting highest price you have
in mind.
3. E.g., all 10 day auctions for simplicity.
4. Make the discount equal to the percent of total auction time elapsed.

for example, starting price: $100 dollars
purchased on day 6 of the auction: 6/10 = 60% discount, buyer pays $40.

This is the concept you are after - with no fluff added (no fluff is
another reason online auctions can beat out one-on-one transactions,
for those unwilling to deal with the quirks of the other party leading
up to exchanging the piece.

The excitement would be generated because the seller puts the material
on the line at risk and it is transparent.  Just like a $0.01 normal
start price can be a loss to a seller the normal way, if no one notices
the auction running down you create what is scientifically known as
"sniper's dilemma" ;).In snipe mode - when to snipe becomes the
question ... The big difference here is that the seller should have no
control to pull the item - no early canceling of auctions!

COOL !!

*This is a standard reverse auction.  It is basically a want ad.  For
example:

Doug:
I am looking for a specimen of Johnstown ADIO minimum 5 grams weight,
maximum 25 grams, with some fusion crust.

Bidder 1: Offer 8 grams at $W
Bidder 2: Offer 5 grams at $X
Bidder 3: Offer 20 grams at $Y
Bidder 4: Offer 12 grams at $Z
Auction closes, no more bids allowed.

  :. Bidder 4 wins and must sell Doug the 12 gram piece (he would
definitely hope to buy!!!) for $Z.

Best wishes,
Doug