[meteorite-list] AL HAGGOUNIA 001 ("NOT" AUBRITE)

STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com STARSANDSCOPES at aol.com
Wed Nov 28 23:12:56 EST 2007

Hi List,  I am not qualified to take sides  in this debate (It never works
out well for me) but I have made some  observations on the meteorite in question.

I have about 100Kg of the  stuff.  I bought it before any one knew how much
was really out there (bad  call).  I cut a rather large amount and sent some
unusual oddities such as  huge apparent chondrules to ASU to add to the
observations while it was still  being debated.

I am not trained to classify but my hobby is  meteorite micrographs.  I have
spent hours cutting, polishing and examining  this material, both the brown
phase and the blue.  I know it comes from the  same place but it seems to me
there are structural differences such as chondrule  abundance and grain size
between the blue and brown phases.

Is it  possible this meteorite was a breccia before it was fossilized?  Could
 there actually be two materials?

Don't take me wrong, this is just a  question and I am not trying to claim
any special insight.

I have some  cool micrographs of NWA 2965 EL3 on my Gallery hosted by
Meteorite Times.

http://www.meteorite.com/meteorite-gallery/

Tom Phillips