[meteorite-list] Very Rare NWA2828

David Weir dgweir at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 6 09:20:22 EST 2007

Tom wrote:

 >Isn't this the first fossil meteorite open to the collector market?

Since the new category of relict (or fossil) meteorites was adopted by
the Nomenclature Committee only this past October, I would imagine there
are likely other relict meteorites in our collections which have not
been so designated. The definition requires that more than 95% of a
meteorite has been replaced by secondary phases since its fall. The
meteorite Mills comes to mind as a possibility, but maybe its not quite
there yet.

David