[meteorite-list] Essexite Gabbro Max size

Mr EMan mstreman53 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 30 22:17:40 EST 2006

Good Question, Mark:

Hap McSween author of Meteorites and their Parent
Bodies and Department head at the UNIV of
Tenn at Knoxville did calculations for maximum and
minimum sizes at launch that allowed a Martian
meteorite to arrive on the ground. It had to be small
enough to not flash melt at launch and large enough to
completely ablate.  A lot of assumptions as to
ablation loss. Seems like the size of a grapefruit
give or take for the upper limit. Lunar was a goose
egg size.

 However, since He did calculations for both Mars and
Moon and I've not read the book in 5 years, perhaps
someone else can look it up. Either way I believe
Zigami exceeded that size and We've at least one lunar
that was larger.

When Vision quest first came to the list I mentioned
there were at east three things from the information
at hand that disqualified the Vision Rock as a Martian
meteorite without further analysis.

The excessive size was one of them. No one bothered to
ask so I figured I'd let it lie until it occurred to
some critical thinker.  Congratulations!

Elton

--- MARK BOSTICK <thebigcollector at msn.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> An interesting observation on lunar meteorites is
> that they are small.  The largest around one kilo.
Has anyone done any math on the size of lunar