[meteorite-list] ACID FOR ETCHING: QUESTION

mark ford markf at ssl.gb.com
Mon Nov 27 04:07:07 EST 2006

Hi Charles,

The strength of the ferric Chloride solution is quite important, it
needs to be a reasonably concentrated solution, (too slow and it doesn't
give such good results, because the reaction slows after a few minutes,
presumably because the surface becomes less 'clean' and doesn't react as
quickly, so you need to etch it within a minute or so.).

 Personally, I have directly compared Nitric Acid etching to Ferric
Chloride etching, and found Ferric to be noticeably superior (This is
consistent with (I think) 'O' Richard Norton's article in Meteorite
magazine some years back, he also discussed tint etching, which uses
various chemicals to bring out features by coloring them.

No too falls are the same however and I have not tried it on anything
other that Gibeon, Campo, Sikhote, Brahin (and a couple of others). I
expect the differing Nickel contents will produce varying results with
both methods, experimentation is the best policy! ...

Best

Mark

  _____