[meteorite-list] ACID FOR ETCHING: QUESTION

Charles Viau cviau at beld.net
Fri Nov 24 23:50:41 EST 2006

While Ferric Chloride is safer, it is much slower… and it seems (to me
anyway) that the etched definition is much lower….

I have found a good source for small quantities of nitric acid to be
jewelers, especially those that plate gold.
They mix hydrochloric with nitric to make aqua regia, an acid powerful
enough to dissolve gold. Very dangerous stuff and certainly not an acid that
you would ever use on a meteorite, unless you want to see it disappear…
however many will sell you a small amount of nitric if you ask. Again, they
use the pure stuff so be real careful… take it home wrapped in lots of paper
in a box.  Dilute it!  Typical is a 5% Nitric solution using 100% denatured
ethyl alcohol  (not the isopropyl type in water) or 1 part pure nitric in 19
parts alcohol.
Standard chem. 101 safety statement : Add acid into alcohol!, not alcohol
into acid! , wear goggles, use latex gloves and do it in the garage, not the
house…

CharlyV

   _____