[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer's Silicated Patagonian Iron

dellenit at aon.at dellenit at aon.at
Tue Nov 21 05:35:33 EST 2006

Hi,
some thoughts and additional infos.
it may still be a Campo iron, as Campo also reveals nice Cr-diopside in grafite silicate inclusions (i have several slices with cr-diopside inclusions). I am very curious about the forthcoming classification of this patagonian iron.

here is a list (which is obviously not complete, as there are iron meteorites that contain silicate inclusions number more than 24 and only some silcates have been studied in detail yet).

Odessa
Campo Del Cielo
Caddo County
Linwood
Toluca
Copiapo
Four Corners
Ocotillo
Persimmon Creek
Pine River
Pitts
Tacubaya
Udei Station

so seems it's not so rare - maybe this list will grow in the future..

Harald

----- Original von:  bernd.pauli at paulinet.de:

> Glad to see I was right on target when I wrote on Fri, Oct. 27:

Beautiful crystals, they are! Yes, I think they are pyroxene
crystals (augite), probably diopside [CaMgSi2O6]. Diopside has
been found in these irons: Caddo County, Four Corners, Ocotillo,
and Udei Station. The most interesting of these with regard to
Mike's iron is probably Four Corners because of its polycrystal-
linity, its silicate-graphite inclusions, its Neumann bands. Four
Corners is anomalous and Mike's iron will surely be classified as
an anomalous iron, too!

Cool meteorite!!!

Bernd