[meteorite-list] Mike Farmer's Silicated Patagonian Iron

bernd.pauli at paulinet.de bernd.pauli at paulinet.de
Fri Nov 10 14:51:01 EST 2006

Glad to see I was right on target when I wrote on Fri, Oct. 27:

Beautiful crystals, they are! Yes, I think they are pyroxene
crystals (augite), probably diopside [CaMgSi2O6]. Diopside has
been found in these irons: Caddo County, Four Corners, Ocotillo,
and Udei Station. The most interesting of these with regard to
Mike's iron is probably Four Corners because of its polycrystal-
linity, its silicate-graphite inclusions, its Neumann bands. Four
Corners is anomalous and Mike's iron will surely be classified as
an anomalous iron, too!

Cool meteorite!!!

Bernd