[meteorite-list] Help !! Para ella un regalo (libro q toque temas dmeteoritos o astronomia???)

Martin Altmann altmann at meteorite-martin.de
Mon Nov 20 08:26:07 EST 2006

Did anyone read that one?

Philip Ridley (Chris Riddell, illustrator): The meteorite spoon.
ISBN 0-14-036890-6

Hmm a review from a cutomer:

"This is another Philip Ridley Book which is very good! Well done Philip
Ridley! The cover and illustrations are good too. It is another fantasy.
Filly and Fergal have parents who argue ALL the time! They argue so much
that the house is falling down and it has huge cracks all over it and all
the furniture and things are glued together (by Filly!). The children keep a
book about the arguments but they are not happy children - especially
Fergal.
One day they meet an old woman who gives them a spoon which got covered in
molten meteorite when a meteor struck her house. They used the spoon to dig
a hole and screamed their anger into it. Then some strange things start to
happen.

I did not think this book was as good as Dakota of the White Flats (another
book by him) but it was still very good. It was fun and I enjoyed it. The
book of arguments was a good idea and Filly was very kind to her poor
brother. I liked the ending - but not the mushy stuff!!

The pictures are good - my favourite one is of the argument fish! He looks
great, really CROSS. My favourite part in the story was when the volcano
exploded, it was a bit scarey and I wondered how they'd ever get home.

I would recommend this book to ages 7 and over, it made me laugh! I am not
sure the volcano or the arguing and insults would be good to read to a
younger child.

Iestyn Evans"

Some more reviews from better experts:

Review by Kevin, aged 9, from Scunthorpe, England.   Rating: Brilliant.
What did you think of the story?
Brilliant because in the middle it tells you about when they first met it
that it was true love.

Favourite character and why
MR THUNDER because he always argues.

Who will the book appeal to most and why?
Junior kids. Because it is funny

Would you tell your friends to read the book and why?
Yes because it's funny

Could any improvements be made and how?
No.

----

Review by Kirsty, aged 10, from Scunthorpe, England.   Rating: Brilliant.
What did you think of the story?
I thought the book was very involved but although it was descriptive, it was
a good read.

Favourite character and why
My favourite character is Filly because she is the most like me.

Who will the book appeal to most and why?
I think the book would be best for 10 years and older because it is quite
long and detailed.

Would you tell your friends to read the book and why?
I would recommend this book to my friends because we like most of the same
things.

Could any improvements be made and how?
No, the book is great as it is.

----

Review by Isobel, aged 8, from Winchester, England.   Rating: Brilliant.
What did you think of the story?
I thought it was excellent!!

Favourite character and why
Filly coz she's cool, nice and kind!

Who will the book appeal to most and why?
All the children coz it is brilliant!!!

Would you tell your friends to read the book and why?
Yes coz it is excellent and exciting

Could any improvements be made and how?
NO WAY!!!

----

Review by Megan, aged 11, from England.   Rating: Brilliant.
What did you think of the story?
I thought the story was great and literally unreal!It was so imaginative
that I thought it was just simply amazing!Not many people would really care
what I read but i have read all the Jaqueline Wilson,All the Terry
Pratchet,All the richard Gosling,All the Enid blyton and all the Roahl Dahl
books.And I have got to say not one of them has as great an imagination as
Philip Ridley!
If you want advice on any books just look them up on the web!

Favourite character and why
I didn't have a favourite character as they were all great in their own ways
and all had differently brilliant personalitys!Other books that are done by
Philip ridley are for instance scribbleboy another book with totally
different characters in it.So I loved all the characters all the way through
though their personalitys did annoy me at first!

Who will the book appeal to most and why?
The book will apeal to any Keen readers with an imagination and someone who
can untangle hidden meanings!I wouldn't reccomend it for weak readers
because you need to understand the plot to read it all in one go!!!

Would you tell your friends to read the book and why?
Yes and no because some of my friends are well not as sophisticated and
therefore would not understand the plot for instance a close friend of mine
will hardly touch a book!For her I would reccomend this too though to give
her imagination a boost and her reading skills too!

Could any improvements be made and how?
Yes this book shouldn't have been wrote as if word tumbles over word so that
the slower readers could read it without skimming it.That would make the
book more enjoyable!

...well, sounds promising.

Martin