[meteorite-list] Handling rust problems after buying Irons

Matthias Bärmann majbaermann at web.de
Sat Nov 18 09:02:47 EST 2006

Hello list,

I'ld like to ask whether anyone of you ever bought Morasko from ebay-seller starrymet (Lukasz Smula) and how his/her experience is until now. I did so, and my personal experience is not very good, unfortunately (although starrymet's ebay-feedback is excellent).

I bought, step by step, 4 pieces: 2 individuals, 1 etched slice, 1 etched endpiece. They really were pretty when I received them, the etched pieces with marvellous Widmannstaetten pattern and even nice and delicate Neumann lines. I didn't hesitate to give very positive feedbacks. So far, so good.

But it took only a few months and all 4 pieces began to rust, heavily, over and over. Meanwhile all of them have really dramatic rust-problems. And I need to underline: I never had such rusting on/in iron, not even with Nandan (!).

I informed the seller about this problem and received only a quite lapidary answer, advising me to work with a (regarding my impression) pretty obsure chemical treatment. So I contacted the seller again, asking hin whether he'ld help me with a better solution or take the pieces back. But from now on I never received any reaction from him. I tried several times and finally informed him that, still remaining without any reaction, I'ld make the problem public - what I'm doing now, not with pleasure.

Would also be interesting for me to know how the sellers of the list use to handle such problems.

Thank you, best regards,

Matthias Baermann