[meteorite-list] Strewn field help

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sat Nov 11 12:39:55 EST 2006

The orientation of a strewn field isn't necessarily related closely to
the path of the meteor. In particular, if the meteorites were produced
by a single terminal explosion, the strewn field orientation will be
determined almost solely by high altitude winds. Only if the meteorites
are produced by a fairly long fragmentation event will the orientation
of the strewn field be significantly affected by the meteor path, and
even here winds can significantly distort the field.

I would not make the assumption that because the meteor came from east
to west the strewn field is oblong in an east/west axis. You need to
interview witnesses in order to determine as accurately as possible
where the burst occurred, and then search a circular area underneath
that point.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory