[meteorite-list] Small iron for fire making needed

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Mon Jun 19 17:18:52 EDT 2006

Ed wrote:

<<What type of irons would be good for fire-starting? Any  ideas?  Small
sized ones should be adequate (only large enough to hold  between your left thumb
and forefinger, along with some dried plant strands or a  piece of
char-cloth.) From what I've seen, I think that slices should also be  acceptable - but
they have to be large enough to hold, and thick enough to stand  glacing
blow-scraping.>>

Hola Ed, You probably know some of this but let me run some ideas by  you on
how meteorites might fit into making a medieval BIC lighter (but it won't
cost $1.49).  You want the closest thing to hardened steel you can get  which,
upon striking against a stone has the potential to release tiny  specs of
frictionally lit and burning ( byproduct=magnetite:-(ughh )With that in  mind you
probably want to consider the higher carbon meteorites.   Unfortunately you want
carbon steel, but meteorites are a little lame in this  department.
Reasonable ones are normally in the 0.2% Carbon  content range.  And on top of that,
not all meteorites are created and  weather equal.  Some of those like Campos
that have been weathered can  exhibit breakdown of cohenite into graphite (yes,
you can actually write with  Campo graphite almost like a pencil).  That is
needless to say a soft form  of carbon.  You are looking - I think - for
something that has  conserved its iron carbide (cohenite) content, probably that
meteorite cutters complain that causes them to run through too many saw  blades
because of the high cohenite content(some other very hard minerals like
schreibersite may or may not be beneficial, I would be wary of having too much  of
them).   This can be on a case by case basis when cutting  samples.  There was
actually some guy on eBay you might dig up, a  while back cutting curved
shapes like the "S" in Stuperman out of pallasites (I  don't approve of this waste
of good material and expressed my opinion, but that  doesn't stop anyone, but
your limited ritual piece sounds pretty  interesting).  I think a miniature
flattened S shape would be just what the  Vikings ordered maybe with a
rectangular end representing Thor's hammer for good  luck since it is by his grace
that you get some of the lightening stone.   Also you might have better luck by
soaking repeatedly and drying your charcloth  in extra yellow urine as was a
Viking custom to make it better (a source of the  sodium nitrate residue,
similar to saltpeter in gunpowder).  Sure slices  ought to work, especially those
cut to thin or beveled edges due to the shallow  strike angle you will want to
use.

Finally, not having the time or expertise to interpret and go through the
carbon and cohenite contents of all the irons, I would suggest you start with
Canyon Diablo which is relatively plentiful and where cohenite (basically an
extra-terrestrial or impact mineral) was identified by iconic meteorite
collector Harvey Nininger.  I am sure it was known by North American  Indians and
used for something, which relates to you I think as you mentioned  Canada better
than some other examples we could come up with).  The  meteorite is an older
one (fell 50 tya) but it may have somewhat "smelted" upon  the heat of its
impact where even trace quantities of diamonds have been  detected (Diamond being
another form of carbon quite hard, but not in the steel  as you prefer).

The lower efficiency of using iron meteorites as a source of firesteel in
olden times probably was solved by medieval alchemists, especially
Germanic/Norse ones who really needed fire to survive and florish,  by working the metal
over coals where the carbon was combined into the  hardening process as a form
of the art.  Also, you can check out Damascus  steel, which is the process
revived today since the first  millenium knowledge of the Vikings and Crusaders
(and befor that the  middle-east), that does exactly this hardenning in
addition of carbon up to  2% (above which properties start to change again and it is
no longer as  desirable for forging swords and blades).

Hope you find this useful, Good luck!
Saludos, Doug