[meteorite-list] Fossils Offer Support for Meteor's RoleinDinosaur Extinc...

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Fri Sep 23 01:27:50 EDT 2005

Mark Fe wrote:
>Lack of a fossil means nothing.
>A charred bone  fossil will.

>Mark Fe "I've only driven through Missouri, but show me  anyway"

Hola Mark, List,

64.8 - 65.3 million years later and you expect to find a charred dinosaur
bone?  Either the bone gets burnt or it fossilizes...and fossilizing is  very
infrequent in the big scheme of things or everyone would have a dinosaur
skeleton buried in their cellar...I think it would be asking to much to get an
animal fossil of something that was burnt - would seem to me that whatever  was
burnt would loose its integrity and no longer have the ability to fossilize
very easily at all...Can you show me a fossilized piece of burnt petrified  wood
... ? :)  Or was that just a fragment of petrified wood and who knows  why it
wasn't twice as big...

With respect to the Forams, the theory is simple.  Foramifera are  plentiful
in sediments containing even no macro-fossils as is too typical in the  KT
sediments.  Changes species of 'Forams' are indicators of climatic  change in the
opinion of most paleontologists.  Now the fossil record shows  that during
that time period so long ago, many species of land animals simply  vanished
geologically abruptly, though how abruptly is still an open question  for some: Is
it 500,000 years or 500 years being the basic question.  And  the key
assumption for Missourian's palate is if all but proving a big climate  change (read:
Foram change) in conjunction with a huge iridium spike wasn't a  shock enough
to blow away larger land animals.

Similar changes in microscopic creatures earmark other great dyings.   In the
case of KT, for every 20 different species of Forams, only about 6  remained.
 The black box that ties the dinosaur extinction is, if we are  sure the
climate changed abruptly as:
1. this is reflected in a sudden change in Forams...because only the hot
water species survived...or cold water species survived in a certain area of
study we have an incredibly nice predictor of climate (temperature)  change.  Now
furthermore, we can correlate that change, ie, dying, with a  spike of
Iridium!

OK, you're from Missouri...No problem, a very nice place (Isn't their  motto,
"Missouri is for Virginians?"  Or was it "Show me Virginia"?, or  "Missouri
is for Lovers?"  I get them all mixed up.  But I think the  paleontologists are
on to something when they turn up those wonderful clues to  what happened
that fateful date of January 1, 64,997,995 B.C.  A person who  measures dinosaur
bones and is typically a good prehistoric taxonomist to  describe new species,
is unlikely to find a bone with a label 64,997,996 BC. I'm  all eyes for new
evidence, but I think the Foram folk who are the experts in
chronoestratigraphy are much more likely to deconvolute as best as any dino only
paleontologist , after all they possibly like forams nbecause the dinos didn't  give up any
smoking guns, which is worse than looking for a grain of sand on a  beach
with 65,000,000 more grains... and it is not like these experts are not  all very
interest paleontologists at heart and that many of the Foram folk of  course
are dino experts as well as can be!

Three cheers for the efforts of the Foram folk ... though not loud enough
cheer to give them big heads about it...the big head won't happen until the next
 Nobel Prize is awarded on the subject...and I haven't seen any work in the
field  yet coming near that yet...but who knows what they might dig up...would
you take  an ammonite that looked like a jigsaw puzzle with half of the pieces
gone and a  few spherules rolling around in it?  Ammonites can look like
j8igsaw  puzzles...btw:-)
Saludos, Doug
PS :Lack of a fossil means something, though it proves decisively  nothing.
Lucky scientists can waive the "beyond a reasonable doubt" clause  of the
Constitution when they publish and speak of thingsbeing consistent or not  with
the record...