[meteorite-list] Portales Valley Classification Info

MexicoDoug at aol.com MexicoDoug at aol.com
Tue May 17 15:31:10 EDT 2005

Hola Tom,

No one said you are stupid (except your own post)!   You are ruffling some
feathers because your comments seem to be too  insensitive.  "Scientists" -
which can include even you and me - normally  have no problem being questioned
(well, sort of...), that is typically how  progress is made.  But to play that
game on friendly terms, if you have  been too "lazy" to lift a finger for you
own education (even if it means via  Google!), I would say you are waaaaay too
arrogant to be taken seriously when  you start telling these guys who are
busting their buns to turn out papers and  teach and have a family life, not to
mention deal with the educational politics  and institutional beaurocracies,
without you having the necessary tools to  really understand what they are up
against and how science usually works in your  neck of the woods.  It ain't no fun
having a jack-in-the-box in Kingman pop  up saying "You're wrong, I told you
so" - and for those more experienced, it can  be downright funny or even
pathetic to listen to that.  Meteoritics, like  all sciences is developing all the
time as we learn more, sometimes what was a  right answer falls from favor
because of the benefit of hindsight which a  researcher simply doesn't have!

I won't comment on the Pope and Barringer  provocations, you already have
figured them out I hope.  But you have a  great inquiring mind which could be
kicked into shape with you own initiative to  be a good scientist.

Let me suggest you enroll in Pre-Algebra at the  Kingman Campus of the Mohave
Community College.  You seem to have the  time...It starts June 6 and is over
by July 11 and costs $126.

Then with  that course you can take the Geology classes below you like and in
the process  of lab work, get an appreciation for the scientific mentod and
what it is like  to have someone who has hindsight to be pressuring you for
answers you are still  discovering, and then having to produce written
evaluations in the way of  assignments, lab reports, not even mentioning tests.

Instead of throwing  stones from your house and bickering your intelligence
away over the internet,  you could even sign up for some of these courses via
the distance education for  $60 extra a piece if you are too lazy yourself to
go to class!

Below is  the summer schedule for Pre-Algebra, the prerequisite for the
Geology courses,  and then I am sure you could sweet-talk the professors into any
of the courses  listed.  The Geology-Rockhounding course is really cool, if you
opted for  just that.  Tom, you may not fully appreciate the opportunity you
have  living where you do to get out in the field with experts, meet more like
minded  people which will add to your interest and finally be able to better
position  and found your questions for more satisfying responses.  XXX said
this so I  am right! is really a hollow response.  The math class this summer
would  have you set to go forward and classes are only $42 a credit there
special for  you in Kingman.  Who knows, being lazy might help you be a better
scientist  - as long as you aren't toooo lazy as some of your posts get close to
being!  Anyway brought to you by your friendly e-neighborhood college
counselor (sp?).  Man, how luck you are to have the time and location for  this!!!
Don't let it be taken from you...Maybe you can intern at  Killgore's:)
Saludos, Doug
_www.mohave.edu_ (http://www.mohave.edu)
$42/credit
Pre-Algebra
211  602 06/06/2005 07/11/2005 - MTWTh HEIDRICH SHERRI L 5:30 PM - 8:20 PM
KINGMAN

GLG 060  ROCK-HOUND GEOLOGY: Covers a study of basic  mineralogy, including
rocks, minerals, fossils, and features of the land  surface, and techniques of
prospecting for minerals and metals.    Special emphasis is placed on local
geology and topics of interest to individual  class members.   Designed for the
amateur rock hound as well as  jewelry makers.   Includes field trips.
Credit Hours: 3   (Three lecture; two lab)
Prerequisites: none

GLG 101  PHYSICAL  GEOLOGY: An introduction to geologic processes on and
within the  Earth.   Topics covered include concepts in mineral and rocks,
tectonic processes, weathering and erosion, sedimentation, structural  deformation,
landscape development and ground water.   Laboratory work  and additional
field trips are included to provide observational examples of the  above topics
and to learn geologic field techniques of data gathering.
Credit  Hours: 4  (Three lecture; three lab)
Prerequisites: ENG 085, 089 and MAT  021 or appropriate score on Assessment
Test
Lab fee=$20

GLG 102   HISTORICAL GEOLOGY: An introduction to the evolutionary history of
the earth and  life on the planet.   Topics covered include concepts in
stratigraphy,  rock dating, tectonic events, global climate, ecologic changes and
the study of  faunal and floral succession over geologic periods of time.
Laboratory work and additional field trips are included to provide observational
examples of the above topics and to learn geologic field techniques of data
gathering.
Credit Hours: 4  (Three lecture; three lab)
Lab  fee=$20
Prerequisites: GLG 101

GLG 280  GEOLOGY OF ARIZONA: An  examination of the geologic regions and
tectonic history of Arizona including  the study of rocks and minerals, fossils,
stratigraphic relationships, desert  landscape evolution, and emplacement of
ore bodies.
Credit Hours: 3   (Three lecture)
Prerequisites: GLG 101 and 102 or permission from instructor.

GLG 285  FIELD GEOLOGY: Develop skills in the field identification  of rocks
and minerals, the interpretation and mapping of rock units, and the
integration of stratigraphic and structural relationships through practice and
applying geologic field techniques and reporting.
Credit Hours: 1   (Three lab)
Prerequisites: GLG 101 and 102 or permission from instructor.

En un mensaje con fecha 05/17/2005 1:51:48 PM Mexico Daylight  Time,
peregrineflier at npgcable.com escribe:
Dave
"Maybe Tom could use the  tip of reading more books and papers and asking
a few less questions that are  not really up to speed with the issues."

Not up to speed with the  issues, Robert Woolard just posted yesterday (may
17th) new info about PV and  a possible new classification! How is it my
talking about the classification  of PV is not up to speed?  "Read more books
and papers", can you direct  me to one published book that talks about
Portales Valley's possible new  classification, H7, metallic-melt breccia
(primitive achondrite)",?  I  don't even know if  the new paper has been
published yet, if not, how am  I, or anyone supposed to read it?
Thanks, Tom
peregrineflier  <><